While you can get a great night’s sleep at a chainstore economy hotel, there is so much you would be missing. Expand your horizons and…
1. Set Priorities- Make a list of negotiable and non-negotiable amenities that you require for your honeymoon. You can save money by deciding what is most important to you. For example, you may opt to stay local and splurge on super luxe accommodations rather than shelling out the cash for pricey international flights.
2. Go Off Season- Research the peak season for the destinations you are interested in and consider going in the shoulder season. The shoulder season is month preceding and following peak season. Off season in Mexico typically runs from Easter to mid-December. Enjoy temps from 68-86 degrees Fahrenheit in Northern Brazil during their winter which runs May to September. You are likely to experience favorable peak season weather but at a significant cost savings and fewer crowds.
3. Want Exotic without the price?- Check exchange rates and consider a destination with a high exchange rate for currency. You can really get more bang for your travel dollars in places like Thailand, Mexico, Croatia and Vietnam.
4. Stay Local-ish- Eliminating expensive airfare altogether leaves more money in your budget for pampering yourselves on a luxury hotel upgrade, gourmet dining, or activities.
5. Book last minute- If you don’t have your heart set on a particular destination or like the element of surprise, booking a cruise or vacation package last minute can score you some amazing deals. How flexible you are on the exact destination or cabin accommodation can make a huge savings impact.
6. Bus, Train, or Car- Ditching planes for an alternate means of transportation can translate into huge savings. A round trip train ticket for 2 is often cheaper than airfare for a single person. If you opt to drive, you can make a road trip adventure that includes sight-seeing excursions along the way.
7. Try All-Inclusive- Consider all inclusive travel packages, resorts, or cruises. The best part is that there are no surprises and no limits. Most all inclusive packages include lodging, meals, drink, activities, and entertainment. It may even include airport transfers and tips. Just be sure to read the fine print on the travel package before purchasing. With all inclusive travel packages to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas starting at $299 per person this is definitely one way to a cheap luxury honeymoon.
8. Call Direct- By calling a hotel directly, you can find out when their peak season (and pricing) is in effect. Ask about any special packages that they may offer; such as a spa or honeymoon themed package. Special hotel packages often come with bundled extras at a much cheaper rate than a la carte services and may also include taxes or tips. This can add up to greater savings than paying the regular room-only rates.
9. Book the cheap room- While an ocean view can be Instagram ideal, it also costs more. Book the cheapest room in the fanciest hotel within your budget. It may mean getting a room that overlooks the pool or parking lot in the worst case, but you and your new spouse are likely to be spending most of your time outside of the hotel anyway.
10. Take a Mini-honeymoon…. For now- Maybe your dream honeymoon vacation is just beyond your financial means right now. Rather than settling for something less desirable or blowing your entire savings, consider a mini- celebratory honeymoon now and splurge on the dream honeymoon for your 1st anniversary. Take the cheap honeymoon option as a 3 day weekend or just a single night in an upscale luxury hotel.
11. BONUS TIP- Play the honeymoon card! When checking into your hotel or dining out, don’t be afraid to let them know you are celebrating your honeymoon. You may end up with freebies or comps just for being newlyweds.